N582 Aspen University Week 4 Health Education Discussion
Assignment: Must be APA formatted with reputable references
Critical Thinking Exercises:
- Review the section on commercially prepared teaching materials. Take a stand on the issue of using free patient education materials provided by drug or formula manufacturers. Defend your position.
- Conduct a literature search on one method of traditional teaching strategies. Summarize the findings of two different (opposing) scholarly articles.
- Why is it that instructional materials should not be selected before behavioral objectives are determined?
- Case Study: Mr. D.W., 84 years old, suffers from high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, and beginning glaucoma. He falls at a church function and is taken by ambulance to the emergency room. Unfortunately, his daughter, who usually accompanies him to his primary care clinic, is working. He refuses to have the staff “bother her at the job.” Mr. W. cannot tell the emergency room nurse what medications he is taking. He states that he takes a blue pill for his “high blood” in the morning, and two pink pills at dinner. He also says that he puts drops in his eyes every day. He nods his head when the emergency room staff tell him that his X-rays show no signs of a fracture, that he should consult his physician if a hematoma develops, elevate his left foot which is wrapped in an ace bandage, and apply ice packs for twenty four hours. He signs the discharge form and receives printed instructions for care of a sprained ankle. An elderly friend who has followed the ambulance from church and stayed in the waiting room helps him into her car and drives him home. Use Table 11-11 (Bastable, p. 498) to answer the following questions:
a. What traditional method of instruction (first five methods) would you choose for your patient, and why?
b. Which non-traditional method (second five methods) would you choose for your patient, and why?
- Prepare a 10-minute lecture on a topic that is of interest to you. Describe the audience and the setting, and the relative advantages/limitations of the lecture as a format for learning in this situation. List the learning objectives, and describe the supplementary materials that will be used (i.e. handouts, audiovisuals) and provide the rationale for your selection of the supplementary materials. Submit a lecture outline, and describe how you would evaluate if the learning objectives were met.
We offer the best custom essay writing services at an affordable rate. We have done this assignment before, we can also do it for you.