Evaluating Emotional Appeals
Instructions: In class we discussed a range of different emotions that can be incorporated into an emotional appeal and tips for doing so effectively. For this assignment, you will find an emotional appeal, identify why it is an emotional appeal, and explain whether it is effective (i.e., persuasive). Refer to class notes from Unit 7: Pathos & Emotional Appeals, as well as the Nabi (2012) reading, to help you complete this assignment.
Find an example of an emotional appeal online. It may be an advertisement, commercial/video, PSA, campaign, newspaper article, etc. Based on the emotional appeal you find, address each of the following:
- Provide the link for the emotional appeal.
- In one sentence, describe the purpose of the persuasive appeal. In other words, what was the appeal trying to persuade people to do/think/believe?
- In one paragraph, describe the persuasive appeal in detail. (e.g., What images did it use? What words did it include?)
- What emotion did the appeal attempt to arouse? Provide at least three specific elements from the appeal that support your claim.
- Was this appeal effectively persuasive? In other words, did it persuade you? Explain why/why not (and if it did not persuade you, what could have been added/improved to persuade you).
This assignment is aligned with Course Learning Outcomes 1 and 3.
A completed hardcopy of this assignment will be due at the beginning of your next class meeting.
We offer the best custom essay writing services at an affordable rate. We have done this assignment before, we can also do it for you.